Carolina Style Pulled Pork in the Instant Pot
Everyone has their own preference of BBQ style, Texas, Memphis, Alabama, North Carolina, South Carolina etc. And everyone makes their own recipe a little different, that's the fun part about BBQ, it is never the same! I personally love a vinegar based sauce, so this is my take on NC BBQ.
We used a very small pork loin because that is what we had on hand but this recipe is great with any cut of pork you prefer. Adjust your cooking time on the instant pot using this chart based on the weight of your pork to insure it is cooked through, and I always manually release the valve because ain't no body got time for that. You can definitely make this in the slow cooker as well, the cooking time would be 3-4 hours on high or 6-8 on low, based on the size of your pork. You know when it is done when the pork falls apart.
We are going to sear the meat first with the spices, add some beer & broth, let it cook, shred, and brown with the broiler. Sounds like a lot of work but I promise you it is super easy & does not require any technique.
We served ours on on sliders, with sauce for dipping. Happy BBQing!
INGREDIENTS FOR ROAST:
- Pork cut of your choice (loin, shoulder, butt)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 2 cups of beer (or use broth)
INGREDIENTS FOR RUB:
this is based off of 3 lbs of meat
- 2 tbsp of coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 2 tbsp of minced onion
- 2 tbsp of paprika
- 1 tsp of onion powder
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tsp of freshly ground pepper
- touch of saly
INGREDIENTS FOR SAUCE:
- 1 & 1/2 cups of apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cups of ketchup
- 1 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp of spicy Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp of vinager based hot sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the ingredients for the rub in a small bowl, rub on pork. It is okay if you need more or less, this was based off of 3lbs.
- Turn instant pot to sear add olive oil, when hot brown all sides of the pork.
- Change pot to pressure cook, add broth and beer, and cook according to the times listed here. Manually release valve when done.
- Combine sauce ingredient.
- Preheat oven to broil. Remove the pork from the instant pot, shred with a fork discarding the remaining liquid.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss the pork with 1/4 to 1/2 of the sauce (depending on amount of pork). Broil in the oven until pork starts to brown, mix again flipping over and broil again about 5-10 minutes total.
- Enjoy immediately adding more sauce, on sliders, dipping, in a bbq boat etc.