Paleo Chicken Philly in the Slow Cooker
I came home at lunch time today & had zero clue what to do for dinner, the only thing in the fridge was snacks, eggs, and green peppers & the only thing in the freezer was chicken thighs. I'd been craving some grilled peppers since we forgot to grill them over the weekend. So I went out on a whim and started to just throw some ingredients in the slow cooker, knowing that it would end up good no matter what. Because that is the magic of slow cooker, it makes every thing delicious.
This came out way better than I anticipated, like so delicious that I had to borrow the husbands computer immediately and write this post before I forgot what I did.
Gary & I were so impressed with this meal that this will be on rotation. Minimal ingredients, quick and easy. No guilt here, all the ingredients are fresh and clean.. You can eat it with or with out bun, throw over rice, wrap in a lettuce wrap, etc.
Anyway, I'll stop blabbing and get to the good stuff. I did want to note that I put the chicken in frozen and it was cooked to perfection after 6 & 1/2 hours on low. I did not measure all the spices so below are estimates, but they were applied evenly to each side, just enough to cover, but not overboard.
- 1 lbs of chicken thighs.
- 1 jalapeno.
- 2 green peppers, sliced
- 1 white onion
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 1/2 tsp of black pepper
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- Miyokos vegan mozz cheese for topping, or if not paleo use provolone
Toppings optional: bun, hogie bun, lettuce wrap, rice, avocado mayo.
Makes 3-4 servings
- Season chicken with garlic powder, paprika, black pepper, salt, Add in this order to the slow cooker jalapeno, broth, chicken, 1 of the green pepper, half of the onion, to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 hours, 3-4 hours on high.
- When the chicken has 30 minutes left, shred the chicken with two forks and place back in the slow cooker.
- When the chicken is done, remove the chicken, onions, and peppers, reserve remaining liquid. Easiest way to do this is to use a coriander with a bowl under it to catch the liquid.
- Preheat oven to broil. Saute the remaining pepper and onion in olive oil. Mix the onion & pepper mixture with the chicken mixture in an oven save pan. Pour 1/4 cup of the liquid over the chicken mixture, mixing to combine. Broil in the oven until the top is brown, mix again flipping over chicken and broil again about 5-10 minutes total.
- Top the chicken with cheese and place back under the broiler until cheese is melted. Enjoy immediately.